Strategic Partnerships strengthens and empowers newly arrived and asylum seeker communities by building Community leaders’ own capacity to run programs for community. In partnership with South East Community Links, we work with the Rohingya, Burmese, Tamil, African and Afghan communities assisting and mentoring them to identify, plan and implement programs while building the capacity of their leadership.
Some recent examples or projects include:
- A small grant from the city of Greater Dandenong to run a Women’s Exercise Group at Noble Park Aquatic Centre. This group runs each Tuesday and includes the provision of health information
- A Leadership Action Group. Bringing leaders of ethno-specific community organisations together on a regular basis to provide training and information to support them in the running of their organisations
- Taking asylum seekers on Safe Haven Enterprise Visas on a regional trips to Ballarat and Geelong to learn about services available in the region
- Supporting ethno-specific community organisations’ monthly newsletter
- Supporting ethno-specific community organisations to apply for grants
The Strategic Partnerships program is funded through the Victorian Government.