STAR Homework Club
The STAR Homework Club supports secondary school students and TAFE students living in the City of Greater Dandenong and City of Casey to remain engaged at school by aiding with homework and providing career advice.
The STAR Club provides support in resume building, university and TAFE applications and social support while encouraging students to maintain a healthy school/life balance.
Our volunteer tutors provide guidance with study skills, time management, and expert knowledge across all high school subjects. The STAR Club is part of SMRC’s Settlement Program, which aims to increase capacity, connection, and participation in the community.
STAR Club helps students to:
- boost confidence to succeed in exams
- build self-esteem and increase participation in class
- get advice on writing cover letters and resumes
- improve social wellbeing and make new friendships
- be in a safe space to seek emotional support.
- STAR Club activities are free, and take place Monday, Tuesday and Thursday at 3:30pm – 6pm during school terms.
The program also provides services to humanitarian entrants, and other migrants on eligible visas within their first five years of settlement in Australia. Volunteer tutors have both a Police Check and Working with Children Check, and receive on-going training opportunities and support.
The STAR Club is funded by the Australian Government through the Department of Social Services under the Settlement, Engagement and Transition Support Program.
Program Youth Development & Case Worker