The Adult Community and Further Education (ACFE) Program provides accessible pathways for disadvantaged adult learners to further their education, training and employment in order to build the skills they need for study, work and life.
Pre-accredited training and courses are flexible and inclusive and are designed to support the individual strengths, goals and aspirations of participants.
Key benefits of the ACFE program include:
- short courses with quick outcomes
- help to build English skills for work
- help to build computer and administration skills for work
- preparation for the Australian Workplace
- improving soft skills including confidence, communication, team work and organisation
- networking opportunities to meet and mix with like-minded job seekers
- links to employment opportunities through SMRC Employment Xchange
- opportunities for further training
ACFE pre-accredited training provides clients with a good stepping-stone to higher education and employment. As a Learn Local provider for the last three years, SMRC has seen many graduate students gain the confidence and skills to find employment and go on to TAFE.
Who is eligible?
- Australian Citizen / holder of permanent visa
- New Zealand citizen
- Asylum seekers holding valid visa that confers eligibility for Skills First training
- 17 and over and not enrolled at school
SMRC ACFE pre-accredited courses run during standard school terms and operate from the SMRC Dandenong Office, Selandra Hub, or online. Times, courses and costs vary from term to term. Courses currently running are:
Term 1, 2024 | 29 January – 28 March
Cost: $20 per term, per course. $5 additional courses
Location: All course held face-to-face at SMRC Level 1
Read and Write English – Term 1 starts Tuesday 30 January
- Basic English classes designed to improve participants’ reading and writing.
- Tuesdays, 9:30 – 11:30am
Everyday English – Term 1 starts Wednesday 31 January
- Practice speaking English for everyday socialising and connecting with the wider community.
- Wednesdays, 9:30am-12:00pm
Everyday Digital – Term 1 starts Tuesday 30 January
- Basic digital literacy classes designed to meet everyday technology needs
- Tuesdays, 12:00 – 2pm
The ACFE Program is funded by the Victorian Government through the Department of Education and Training.