It’s National Volunteer Week!
At SMRC we are so incredibly grateful to our volunteers who give their time and passion to help SMRC deliver our services.
National Volunteer Week is the annual celebration to acknowledge the generous contribution of our nation’s volunteers. At this uncertain time we feel that it is more important than ever to recognise and acknowledge Australia’s volunteers.
Here’s some fast facts you may like to know about our volunteers:
- We have 155 wonderful volunteers *
- Who speak 36 different languages *
- Providing over 10,000 hours of service *
- Involved in 10 different programs, including, aged care, finance, IT, HR, Reception, Admin support, English classes, Homework support, computer classes, HIPPY
- They are ex and current teachers, uni students, retirees, past clients who want to give back to SMRC, ex carers and people looking for Australian workplace experience
- Our longest serving volunteers is Maria has been a volunteer for 22 years in the home visiting programs.
- Types of volunteering roles available at SMRC include STAR Club Tutors, Conversational English Tutors. Aged care home visiting, Palliative care visiting, Activity groups and exercise groups for seniors. In office roles, including reception, admin support, IT, Finance, Media, Business development
- Benefits of volunteering at SMRC, Gain experience with Australian work culture, to give back to the community, self – esteem, socialising/meeting new people, decrease social isolation for newly arrived, referees, learn new skills