The SMRC provides settlement services to new humanitarian visa arrivals within 5 years of settlement in Australia. To be eligible for services, participants must have arrived in Australia on a refugee or humanitarian visa and have been in Australia for less than 5 years.
Settlement Services includes:
- one-to-one case work
- information sessions on various topics
- building capacity for new and emerging communities
- groups for men and women
- recreation activities
- community development projects
- assisting mainstream agencies to work with culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- service development, planning and other related activities.
Staff of the Settlement team can assist clients with referrals and links to housing, education, employment, financial assistance, local council services, and referral to other mainstream or ethno-specific agencies or government departments.